In 2008 Feeding America established Hunger Action Month in September. The purpose of this month is to encourage everyone to get involved in their respective communities with hunger-relief.
1-800 Charity Cars, America’s leading car donation charity, would like to help spread awareness about Hunger Action Month by providing you the following information.
FACTS/STATISTICS ABOUT HUNGER IN AMERICA
- One in six people face hunger in the United States.
- One in eight Americans are relying on assistance from food banks.
- One out of every seven people are receiving SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits in the United States, formerly known as food stamps.
- 49 million American households were food insecure in 2013 according to the USDA.
- The USDA discovered that 20% of homes with children, and 9% with the elderly are food insecure.
- The struggle for food in America is not due to a lack of food. It is due to so many households living in poverty.
Ways to Get Involved During Hunger Action Month
Feeding America has some handy links set up for you to get involved in some creative ways. Just visit this link hungeractionmonth.org/ and you can do the following:
- Connect with your local food banks
- Change your Facebook and Twitter to show your support
- Spread awareness on Facebook and Twitter with handy preset status/tweets with clickable share buttons
- Get your senators and representatives involved
- Take the pledge to support kids who face hunger in America
Food share also has ways for you to get involved:
- Volunteer with Foodshare
- Do the 30 ways for 30 days for hunger action
- Turn Orange for Hunger
- Get the kids involved
- Share your story
- Become an E-Advocate
- Take the SNAP Challenge
- Schedule a Hunger 101
Other ways you can get involved.
- Volunteer at your local food bank, soup kitchen, or shelter
- Donate to your local food bank, soup kitchen, or shelter
- Organize or participate in a local food drive
- Wear orange, the official color of hunger, during the month of September
- Give up one luxury you enjoy for the sake of hunger, such as your $5 coffee in the morning. At the end of the month, donate the money you saved to fight hunger.
Whatever you decide to do to help support Hunger Action Month, 1-800 Charity Cars, would like you to know that no matter how big or how small your effort they will make a difference in the lives of Americans who are food insecure. To learn more about ways you can help fight against hunger, check out our article here.
1-800-Charity Cars works to help those struggling with hunger in America. A donated car that is given to a needy family can give them the chance to provide for themselves more adequately. The ability to commute in a safe and reliable vehicle also provides people with a new sense of self-sufficiency and hope. If you have a vehicle that you no longer need or use, you can make a difference in the lives of those Americans struggling with food insecurity. Your donation is tax-deducible and we provide free towing for all vehicles nationwide, running or not. Visit our simple online donation form or call 1-800-242-7489.