2014 is here and 1-800 Charity Cars, providers of free donated cars to people in need nationwide, knows that many of you are wondering what would be the best way to start off the New Year. Why not start the year off by helping others through the simple act of donating blood?
Blood supplies run low during the winter months due to various reasons, such as holidays, bad weather, illnesses and travel. January tends to be the worst month for blood donations. It has been declared National Blood Donor Month; in hopes that through this designation and spreading awareness, people will be more inclined to make a blood donation.
According to the American Red Cross, there is a need for a blood transfusion every two seconds. Every year, five million people will need blood in the United States. A person has ten to twelve pints of blood, where only one pint is taken during a donation. Considering the fact that one pint of blood can save up to three people’s lives, giving a blood donation can truly be the gift of life for many!
Basic eligibility guidelines to donate blood
- Be in general overall good health
- Be 17 years of age or older in the majority of the United States and 16 years old with parental consent
- Weigh a minimum of 110 pounds
- Have two forms of identification
Tips to prepare for making a blood donation
- Bring a friend along, for moral support
- Make sure that you eat a healthy meal 3 hours prior to giving blood
- Drink plenty of water, to make sure you are well hydrated
- If you are donating platelets, remember that you should not take aspirin for two days prior to the blood donation
- Make sure your shirt is either short sleeve, sleeveless, or can easily be pushed up above the elbow
- Get a good night’s sleep
The process for a blood donation
- You will answer a few questions about your history
- The blood donation center will check your temperature, pulse, blood pressure and iron levels
- Once you are cleared for the donation, they will take your blood and this will take about 10 minutes
- After the donation, you will relax a little while and enjoy some juice and cookies
We hope that you will honor National Blood Donor Month by seeking out a blood donation center in your area and making a difference in the lives of others, by giving the gift of life through a blood donation. You can visit The American Red Cross at http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation and locate the closest location to you to make your donation.
If you’re unable to donate blood or looking for another way to make a difference in the lives of others, be sure to check out our car donation program. 1-800-Charity Cars provides donated vehicles to needy families throughout the entire United States. You can make a new or used car donation to us today! We accept all types of vehicle donations, running or not, and provide free towing nationwide. You will also receive a car donation tax deduction. Call us today at 1-800-242-7489 and speak to one of our live operators or fill out our convenient online donation form.