Charity Cars Donation Process
To donate a vehicle (car, truck, RV, boat, or plane) in any condition, running or not
- Call 1-800-CHARITY (1-800-242-7489 x 2)
- Fill out the online donation form found here .
- Determination: Once we receive your information we will make an initial determination whether your vehicle may be suitable to be used as a “program” car (to be provided to a client) or whether the vehicle will be sold at auction or for salvage.
- If Your Vehicle Is To Be Sold: If your vehicle is not suitable to be a “program” car, we will mail you a letter stating that “your vehicle does not meet our criteria to be a program car and will be sold”. This letter serves as your receipt and may be used for tax purposes for you to value the donation up to $500. Once the vehicle is sold, if the gross sales price is over $500 you will be sent an additional receipt within 30 days of the sale that will include the sales price that you must use to value your donation.
- Schedule The Vehicle Pickup: One of our towing companies will contact you to schedule a convenient time to pick up your vehicle at no charge. Once you have scheduled the tow, please prepare your vehicle’s title for transfer by writing the name Charity Cars, Inc. on the "buyer/purchaser" line and sign your name where it states “seller” exactly as it appears on the title. The tow truck driver will pick up your vehicle as well as the title. If you are uncomfortable about handing your title to the tow truck driver, you can make prior arrangements with the donation representative to mail your title to the Charity Cars headquarters.
- Program Vehicles: If your vehicle is tentatively accepted to be used as a “program” car our office will notify you by phone and explain our "program vehicle" process in detail. We will also mail you a letter stating that “based on the information that you have provided regarding the condition of your vehicle, your vehicle may be used in our program and be provided to a disadvantaged person. (Included in this letter will be a summary of the condition of the vehicle that you are donating. If there are any discrepancies please contact us immediately.) Once we receive your signed, transferable title, we will make arrangements to have your vehicle picked up and inspected by a repair facility or a representative of Charity Cars. If the condition of the vehicle has been accurately conveyed to our representatives, then your vehicle will be used as a “program” car and be provided to a client and we will send you a receipt (within 30 days of the pick up) stating that you may deduct the “fair market value” of your donation. If, based on inspection, your vehicle has not been accurately represented then your vehicle will be sold and you will be sent a receipt within 30 days of the sale that will include the sales price that you must use for your tax deduction. We strive to make the donation process a positive and rewarding experience so if you have any questions or special requests please call our friendly customer service representatives at 1-800-CHARITY x 2.
- Determining “Fair Market Value”: According to the IRS, the donor, (not the recipient charity), must determine the value of their donation. Assistance in determining the “fair market value” can be found at www.kbb.com Kelly Blue Books’ website. Use private party value as a guide. Donors valuing their donation in excess of $5000 must acquire an independent appraisal. Our customer service representatives can provide additional information.